Monday 2 October 2017

Minor/Major Project: Further Thoughts/Influences

The Book:

The book I would like to write as an old, Victorian-style journal, with sketches/studies of the different creatures, parts of maps showing where the writer has traveled and where the creatures were found.

The Writer: 

The the character writing the journal will be a renowned explorer and cryptozoologist called Adelaide Rodriques. Adelaide travels all over the world looking for rare creatures and documents them in her journal, as well as collecting physical proof for her home and eventually her exhibition at the museum. Though the journal may only contain a couple of images of her, I wanted to get a feel for how she would dress and hold herself.

The Poster/s:

 The poster/s will be for a museum exhibition showcasing  Adelaide's findings from across the world. I looked at old posters as well as posters from the Dishonored games to find the kind of style I was looking for.

Style:

For style I looked at games that use simple models with painterly textures. Life is Strange has clearly visible brushstrokes in all of its textures, as do Dishonored and The Wolf Among Us. This would be a good alternative to trying to create realistic fur on a model.

The Video:

My main inspiration for this is old Pathé News reels from the early 1900s. Combining the style of these news reels with something similar to the character trophies in Batman: Arkham Knight should create what I currently have in mind, though I may place my creature/s in a cage or prison-like room.

Below are video examples:

1 comment:

  1. Loving all these references, Eleanor - really coherent and I'm excited to see this project take shape.

    ReplyDelete